Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feedemail

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Quick and easy lunches. Cauliflower soup and Chinese Chicken Porridge

I've gotten pretty good at planning dinners thanks to an idea I've stole from Ms Fork when saw it on her fridge. But somehow lunches still sometimes get away from me. I mean they show up all unexpectedly in the middle of the day when people are busy doing stuff. Also we had a massive weekend last week and didn't get a chance to do a proper grocery shop so or fridge and pantry is not nearly as conducive to options as I'd like.

As a result I've had to develop a repertoire of easy meals that don't require that I have much in the fridge to prepare. 

Here are 2 I've whipped up over the last couple of days.


Cauliflower and cheese soup. 

Ingredients:
1/2 Cauliflower
1 carrot
3 button mushrooms
(aka The entire contents of my veggie drawer)

A few handfuls of shredded cheese (we had Mexican blend in the fridge)
1 cup of milk.

I steamed all the veggies till they were soft. Then dumped the lot in blender. Added the shredded cheese and milk and blitz till they were all blended. I didn't even need to add any salt because the cheese make it nice and tasty without adding anything extra. 

Little man loved it and didn't even realize that he was eating an all veggie meal. 

Chinese Chicken Porridge Recipe. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice
2 cups water
2 tbsp mince (any kind but I think chicken works best. Can also use any flaky white fish here.)

In saucepan cook rice and water on the lowest heat setting. When the rice looks puffed up add in the chicken. Cook until the rice is at the consistency of wet risotto. You may need to add more water if it's getting a little dry.

The basic recipe is good for kids from 6 months on because it's soft and salt free. For my 2 year old I add in a couple of other goodies to make it taste yummier:
-A few drops of sesame oil
-A bit of soy sauce to taste OR a tsp of Vegemite stirred into the porridge when hot.

Leave to cool to warm before serving. 

For grown ups I've added in a chicken or vegetable stock cube to make the dish more savory. We love this dish for cool nights but don't take my word for it. This is my little man scoffing his second helping 






No comments:

Post a Comment